Miriam School is pleased to offer a supportive, welcoming community for students and their families. Faculty and parents work together to offer programs and experiences for families in order to meet the following goals:
- Provide a variety of opportunities for parents to become involved in the life of the school
- Offer ways in which parents and families can meet and share experiences and knowledge
- Offer access to educational programs that meet the needs of students served by the school
- Raise funds for special Miriam School program needs and the Miriam School Scholarship Program
- Support enrichment opportunities for Miriam School students
Miriam School faculty and administration believe that a close partnership between parents and faculty is crucial to our mission to provide the best educational program for our students.It is in this spirit that faculty and parents work together to offer programs and experiences to our parents and families that meet the following goals: to provide a variety of opportunities for parents to become involved in the life of the school; to offer ways in which parents and families can meet and share experiences and knowledge; to offer access to educational programs about the disabilities served by the school; to raise the needed funds for special Miriam School program needs and the Miriam School Scholarship Program; to support enrichment opportunities for Miriam School students.
2016-2017 Programs and Events for Parents and Families
- Adults Only Evening Open House: 6:30 – 8:00 pm on September 1, 2016
- Fall Family Dinner at Tilles Park: 4:00 – 6:30 pm on September 23, 2016
- Parent Association Meeting: 8:45 – 9:45 am on October 13, 2016
- Holiday Shopping Event at Miriam Switching Post: 5:00 – 8:00 pm on November 10, 2016
- Scholastic Book Fair: November 9 through November 17, 2016, with the “Grand Lunch” event on November 15, 2016
- Miriam School Art & Music Festival: 1:45 – 3:00 pm on December 16, 2016
- Alumni Parent Panel: 9:00 – 10:30 am on January 20, 2017
- Parent Association Meeting: 8:45 – 9:45 am on February 9, 2017
- Miriam Trivia Night: 6:00 – 10:00 pm on February 25, 2017, with all proceeds benefiting the Miriam School Scholarship Program
- Parent Association Meeting: 8:45 – 9:45 am on April 13, 2017
- Spring Picnic: 11:30 am – 2:00 pm on May 6, 2017
- “Miriam Empowers through Education” Speaker Series: Five evening parent educational seminars and one morning program are offered to Miriam School parents, as well as to parents and educators from the St. Louis Community
These programs are scheduled on a variety of days and evenings throughout the school year, so that they will be available to as many parents as possible. Additional programs may be included as the year progresses.
For information about ways to become involved with parent projects and fulfill volunteer needs, please contact the school office at 314-968-5225.
At Home Learning Resources
At Miriam School we believe that a successful academic program reflects a school philosophy of high expectations for all and a respect for students’ innate desire to learn. Staff are skilled in providing a strong and comprehensive program founded in the acquisition of academic and social skills and practiced within the school setting. Miriam School homework guidelines emphasize the nightly practice of reading, an essential skill that enables students to be successful. Students in the lower and upper primary teams read nightly and students on the middle school team read nightly and also may complete extended learning activities as they connect with classroom learning.
If families are interested in providing students with additional at home learning opportunities, Miriam School staff have compiled the following list of available suggested options:
Khan Academy – www.khanacademy.org
IXL Learning – www.ixl.com
K12 Reader – www.k12reader.com
Wonderopolis – www.wonderopolis.org
ABCYa! – www.abcya.com
Scholastic – www.scholastic.org
Soft Schools – www.softschools.com